Close Icon

Ask the Experts: Do I have to prepare a Fire Risk Assessment if I let my cottage?

Ask the experts…

Q. Do I have to prepare a Fire Risk Assessment if I let my cottage?

A. The Helpful Holidays team say:

The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 makes you responsible for taking steps to protect the people using your property from the risk of fire. It requires by law that you carry out a Fire Risk Assessment, improve your fire safety measures if necessary, and regularly review the risks and safety measures.

You can carry out the Fire Risk Assessment of your cottage yourself, ask a friend with experience to help, or engage a professional consultant, although you’ll still be legally responsible for the Assessment. We recommend keeping a written record of the Assessment and scheduling regular reviews.

The Fire Risk Assessment will include details of arrangements for fire prevention, detection (including checks and servicing of equipment), extinguishing, safe design and layout of the property and arrangements for evacuation in the event of a fire. More information and a blank form for guidance are available on the government website, and your local Fire and Rescue Service can provide information and advice on fire protection.