Close Icon

Important Information

Not the nicest of subjects but, as we head into high season, we just wanted to remind you of some important information which affects you as a holiday home owner. Local councils have legislation in place which restricts collection of both recycling and general refuse to residential council tax property owners only.

Holiday lets need to be registered as a business

If a property is available to let for 140 days or more per year, it should be registered as a business with any waste generated being classed as commercial.  This needs an approved carrier to remove and dispose of it. A solution must be put in place to ensure recycling and refuse is collected on a regular basis with provision made to keep it safe between collections.  Housekeepers are not permitted to collect rubbish as the Council requires any refuse collection agent to be licensed.

Where a property is registered for business rates, the Council is now aware of the address details and will no longer provide a domestic collection service.

Suppliers who can help…

There are a number of suppliers available with the appropriate licenses to collect commercial waste and below are just some of the companies offering solutions –

Cornwall Waste Care – 807000.

Holiday Home Waste Collections  – 01208 815060

Chenoweth Trading Company –  –  01872 501221

Biffa  – – 0800 307307

There are several other service providers and we know that one size will not fit all, with some charging a set fee and others per collection, some collect on changeover day and others on a regular day each week.


Further reading

For up to date and accurate information on this situation, we would highly recommend visiting your local council website for detailed information about waste collection and recycling in your area.

You can read more about your responsibilities as an owner on the Cornwall Council website HERE or by going to:

Cornwall Council:

Devon County Council: